Although network coverage has improved in the country over the past decade, the cost of internet services has also greatly increased. This has made several people, including those from low-income families, seniors, and the disabled, miss out on having an internet connection.
The situation was aggravated by the COVID-19 pandemic when a lot of people lost their sources of income. As a result, most of them could not afford to pay their internet bills or purchase mobile data plans. This also played a big part in worsening the digital divide occurring in the country.
Verizon recognized the importance of having consistent and dependable low-cost internet access. That is why they came up with an internet discount program, known as Verizon Forward, to help low-income families continue studying, working, and researching remotely.
The program, which is still running, was made available to new and existing customers participating in the Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program. This article will dive into the details of how to get Verizon free internet.
- The Verizon Forward Program
- Qualification for Verizon Free Internet Through the Affordable Connectivity Program
- How to Get Verizon Free Internet Through the ACP and Verizon Forward Program
- Does Verizon Participate in the Lifeline Program
- How to Obtain Free Verizon Internet via the Lifeline Program
- Documents Required to Get Verizon Free Internet
- Final Verdict
- You Might Also Like
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Verizon Forward Program
Verizon Forward is a financial assistance program developed by Verizon to help qualifying customers enrolled in the Affordable Connectivity Program or Lifeline afford internet access. Participation in the ACP by Verizon enables it to run and finance Verizon Forward.
Initially, the Verizon Forward Program was known as Fios Forward, and it provided eligible customers with access to Verizon’s Fios fiber network at no cost. However, in order to provide free internet to customers across the country, Verizon expanded the program to include customers on LTE and 5G wireless networks.
The Verizon Forward comes with the following features:
- No annual contracts or hidden costs
- No data throttling or equipment costs
- No installation costs or upfront charges
- A $500 credit when you terminate your subscription with your current provider and switch to Verizon
Qualification for Verizon Free Internet Through the Affordable Connectivity Program
The ACP is a government-funded program that helps low-income families in the country subsidize the cost of internet access. It does this by providing a $30 monthly discount to eligible individuals and a $75 monthly discount to individuals residing in tribal lands.
This program was designed by the Federal Communication Commission and administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company. Verizon’s participation in the ACP enables it to offer free internet.
However, the Affordable Connectivity Program comes with a set of conditions that you have to satisfy before you can receive monthly internet discounts. These conditions apply to an individual or a household. Some of them include:
- You or your household should have an income that doesn’t surpass 200% of the Federal Government’s Poverty Threshold. This varies for different states, so ensure that you confirm before applying for internet assistance.
- You or any household member were laid off or lost any source of income that they had.
- You or any household member received a Federal Pell Grant within the year you’re applying for ACP.
- If you or any household member receives aid from any of the government-supported or tribal benefit programs mentioned here:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Supplemental Security Income
- Veteran’s Survivor and Pension Benefit Program
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch/Breakfast Program
How to Get Verizon Free Internet Through the ACP and Verizon Forward Program
The Verizon Forward Program allows you to access fast and reliable internet at an affordable cost. However, if you want to lower that cost further, you can combine it with the Affordable Connectivity Program. This can potentially bring the costs to zero. Here’s how you can get Verizon free internet:
- You need to sign up as a Verizon customer and subscribe to a Fios Mix and Match plan.
- Check if you’re eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program on the Federal Government’s National Verifier online portal.
- Apply for the ACP, and once you’re approved, move on to the next step. Being approved for the ACP automatically qualifies you for the Verizon Forward.
- If you are not already a Verizon customer, check to see if Verizon Home Internet is available in your area.
- Once Verizon Home Internet is installed in your home, reach out to Verizon customer service at 1-800-922-0204 for them to apply the ACP discount to your bill.
Does Verizon Participate in the Lifeline Program
Verizon also participates in the Lifeline Assistance Program offered by the Federal Government. This enables them to provide Lifeline plans to Fios Home Internet and Home Phone subscribers.
Eligible customers can apply a $9.25 monthly discount offered by the Lifeline program to their Fios internet service bills. Only a single Lifeline discount is available to every household. This discount is not supposed to be transferred to anyone else.
Here’s how you can be eligible to receive monthly Lifeline discounts:
- If your income or that of your loved one does not exceed 135% of the Poverty Threshold set by the Federal Government.
- If you’re a beneficiary of one of the following support programs offered by the Federal Government:
- Veterans’ Pension Housing Assitance
- Supplemental Security Income
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribal Programs
- Low Income Energy Assistance Program
How to Obtain Free Verizon Internet via the Lifeline Program
Below is the procedure you can follow to get Verizon free internet via the Lifeline program:
- Confirm whether you or any member of your household is eligible for Lifeline. You can do this online at the Lifeline National Verifier.
- Apply for the Lifeline online or through the mail and proceed to the next step.
- Order a Fios plan that suits you
- Contact the Verizon Customer Support Team for them to activate your service and apply the Lifeline discount to your bill.
Documents Required to Get Verizon Free Internet
There are a few documents that Verizon may, at times, need for the purpose of authentication when you apply for internet assistance from them. They include:
- Identity authentication documents that contain your full legal name and date of birth. Examples consist of a passport, Military ID, Driver’s License, Green Card, Certificate of Naturalization, and Birth Certificate.
- Income authentication documents showing your full legal name and annual earnings. Examples consist of paycheck stubs, tax returns, child support documents, divorce settlement documents, and income statements.
- Address authentication documents showing your full legal name and address. Examples consist of utility bills, Tribal IDs, W2 forms, mortgage documents, and lease statements.
- Government-support program participation authentication document. Examples consist of benefits award letters, statements of benefits, approval letters, and benefits verification letters.
Paying for internet services can be very expensive, especially if you’re not financially stable. Verizon free internet presents a perfect opportunity for you to continue browsing, studying, communicating, and working without worrying about internet bills.
You can apply for internet assistance from Verizon using any of the methods mentioned above. However, you will need to meet the eligibility criteria stated and provide the documents to authenticate them when deemed necessary. Try your luck today.
You Might Also Like
- How to Get Spectrum Free Internet
- How to Get T-Mobile Free Internet
- How to Get Comcast Free Internet